Equal Justice Talks
From the Criminal Justice Advocacy Program of
The Arc of New Jersey
This monthly webinar series hosted by The Criminal Justice Program presents experts on a broad range of issues related to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities who become involved in the criminal justice system as defendants, victims and witnesses. On the Third Thursday of each month, from 2pm to 3pm EST, you can register free of charge to hear live presentations about Medicaid/SSI rules and regulations as they apply to people with criminal histories; sexual civil rights; cognitive capacity to consent; guardianship issues; defending the client with disabilities; interview techniques when working with a person with disabilities and many other topics.
Our webinar speakers cover a wide range of topics and perspectives. Information presented in these webinars and powerpoint slides does not represent the opinions of The Arc of New Jersey.
Thursday, October 15, 2020 from 2 pm - 3 pm EST.
"Changing the System to Improve the Response to Victims with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities"
Please join us in this one hour presentation with guest speaker Pamela Stafford, Public Policy Director at The Arc of New Mexico for "Changing the System to Improve the Response to Victims with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities." Her presentation will discuss how this Arc Chapter is promoting systems changes through legislative initiatives, training and direct services for victims with IDD, focusing on their victims' advocacy training and the challenges and successes these initiatives have brought.
If you are not on our mailing list and would like to be included, please click here.
Make sure to check out our newly posted podcast!
2020-2021 Equal Justice Talks Webinar Series
- Sept 17, 2020 - Legislative Options to Reform Laws for People with I/DD Caught Up in the Criminal Justice System -Recorded Webinar | Slides
- October 15, 2020 - Changing the System to Improve the Response to Victims with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities - View Flyer | Register Here
- November 19, 2020- To be announced
- December 17, 2020- To be announced
- January 21, 2021- To be announced
- February 18, 2021- To be announced
- March 18, 2021- To be announced
- April 15, 2021- To be announced
- May 20, 2021- To be announced
- June 17, 2021- To be announced
2019-2020 Equal Justice Talks Archived Webinars
- September 19, 2019 - What's Happening Now: For Individuals with Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities in the Criminal Justice System in NJ | Slides
- October 17, 2019 - Representing the Criminal Defendant with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities - Recorded Webinar
- November 21, 2019 - Autism Spectrum Disorder, Internet Crime and Culpability - Recorded Webinar | Slides Recommended Reading by Dr. Cohen: Asperger’s Syndrome and Sexuality: From Adolescence Through Adulthood. Isabelle Henault / Making Sense of Sex: A Forthright Guide to Puberty, Sex and Relationships for People with Asperger’s Syndrome. Sarah Atwood
- December 19, 2019 - Addressing the Needs of a Sexual Assault Victim with Developmental Disabilities in a Sexual Assault Forensic Examination - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- January 16, 2020 - An Overview of the Basics of Social Security Disability- Recorded Webinar | Slides
- February 20, 2020 - Sexual Rights, Autonomy and Disability (Part 1 of Part 2)- Recorded Webinar
- March 19, 2020 - Recognizing How Court’s Can Misinterpret Autism in the Trial Process- Recorded Webinar | Slides
- April 16, 2020 - Sexual Rights, Autonomy and Disability (Part 2 of Part 2)- Recorded Webinar
- May 20, 2020 - Autism Spectrum Disorder and Offending Behaviors - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- June 18, 2020 - Police Use of Deadly Force as it Relates to People with Behavioral Health Issues - Recorded Webinar
2018-2019 Equal Justice Talks Archived Webinar
- September 20, 2018 - Creating Pathways to Justice for People with I/DD in 2018 and Beyond - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- October 18, 2018 - Trauma Informed Care - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- November 15, 2018 - Ethics & Safety - The relationship between ethical cultures and safe environments at provider agencies - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- December 20, 2018 - Understanding the Changing Landscape of Social and Sexual Behavior for People with I/DD and Their Caregivers - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- January 17, 2019 - Effectively Advocating for the Client with Developmental Disabilities who has been charged with a sex offense - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- ** Q&A Follow-up - Answered by Heather Ellis Cucolo, Mental Disability Law and Policy Associates, Co-owner and Partner, Offering mental disability training and education both domestically and internationally.
- February 21, 2019 - Growth Through Opportunity: A Unique Way to Enhance Employment, Safety and Inclusive Communities - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- March 21, 2019 - Understanding the Impact of Collateral Consequences of a Sexual Criminal Conviction on a Person with I/DD- Recorded Webinar
- April 18, 2019 - Supported Employment for People with I/DD and Criminal Histories- Recorded Webinar | Slides
- May 16, 2019 - The need for relationship and sexuality education for people with I/DD (Part 1)-
- Recorded Webinar | Slides
- June 20, 2019 - Prevention through Education: Outcomes and Barriers (Part 2)-
- Recorded Webinar | Slides | Resources Handout
2017-2018 Equal Justice Talks Archived Webinar
- September 27, 2017 An overview of the criminal justice system and how it affects clients with developmental disabilities when criminal charges are filed - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- October 25, 2017 Effective techniques when working with a person with a developmental disability that affects their communication skills, providing practical tips and information - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- November 29, 2017 - Doing the Right Thing: Making Ethical Decisions and Preventing the Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disabilities - Recorded Webinar | Slides (Suggested reading on this topic: 'Scanning the Horizon' by Steve Baker and Amy Tabor)
- December 20, 2017 - How Parents and Caregivers can Keep an Individual with I/DD Safe While Accessing the Internet. Recorded Webinar | Slides
- January 25, 2018 - Counterfeit Deviance: What Is It and What Does the Research Tell Us? Recorded Webinar | Slides
- February 22, 2018 - Investigating and Prosecuting Financial Crimes Against People with I/DD. Recorded Webinar | Slides
- March 29, 2018 - Overcoming Criminal Histories and Successfully Supporting Employment for People with I/DD Recorded Webinar | Slides
- April 26, 2018 - Trauma Informed Care: Understanding Sources of and Treatment for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Recorded Webinar | Slides
- May 24, 2018 - Empowering People with Disabilities to Recognize and Report Abuse - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- June 28, 2018 - Legal-Medical Partnerships- Recorded Webinar | Slides
Archived 2016- 2017 Equal Justice Talks Webinars
**Material contains graphic material and adult content**
- December 1, 2016 Sexual Behavior Problems
- December 22, 2016 Risk Assessment
- January 12,2017 Psycho-Social Assessments
- February 2, 2017 Sexually Inappropriate Behavior
- February 23, 2017 Sexual Violence
- March 9, 2017 Problematic Sexual Behavior Part 1 Juveniles
- April 6, 2017 Problematic Sexual Behavior Part 2 Adults
- April 27, 2017 Faith Based Organizations
- May 18, 2017 NJ Parole Supervision
- June 14, 2017 Promoting Personal Safety
This project is cosponsored by the New Jersey State Bar Foundation and made possible through funding from the IOLTA Fund of the Bar of New Jersey. For additional information about the Foundation's other law-related activities, please call 1-800-FREE-LAW or visit the Foundation on the Web at www.njsbf.org.