Webinars - Equal Justice Talks Series
Click Here - Sign-up to receive email announcements for upcoming webinars!
Current Webinar Information and Sign-Up
Equal Justice Talks Webinar Series #9 - Thursday, May 24th at 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EST
"Empowering People with Disabilities to Recognize and Report Abuse"
This hour long webinar with Mark Starford and Kecia Weller will explore –
• How to recognize and support people with disabilities who have experienced abuse
• How to empower self-advocates to identify and report abuse
Mark Starford, Director of Board Resource Center, facilitates leadership of people with disabilities and development of person-centered services. Kecia Weller is a state and national peer advocate for people with disabilities. Her focus is to ensure people who experienced abuse and assault get the support needed to live self-determined lives. Kecia along with Mark produced a PSA titled "Abuse of Persons with Disabilities: The Silent Epidemic" and with The National Arc’s NCCJD developed the “Talk about Sexual Violence” project.
2017-2018 Equal Justice Talks Webinar Calendar
- September 27, 2017 An overview of the criminal justice system and how it affects clients with developmental disabilities when criminal charges are filed - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- October 25, 2017 Effective techniques when working with a person with a developmental disability that affects their communication skills, providing practical tips and information - Recorded Webinar | Slides
- November 29, 2017 - Doing the Right Thing: Making Ethical Decisions and Preventing the Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disabilities - Recorded Webinar | Slides (Suggested reading on this topic: 'Scanning the Horizon' by Steve Baker and Amy Tabor)
- December 20, 2017 - How Parents and Caregivers can Keep an Individual with I/DD Safe While Accessing the Internet. Recorded Webinar | Slides
- January 25, 2018 - Counterfeit Deviance: What Is It and What Does the Research Tell Us? Recorded Webinar | Slides
- February 22, 2018 - Investigating and Prosecuting Financial Crimes Against People with I/DD. Recorded Webinar | Slides
- March 29, 2018 - Overcoming Criminal Histories and Successfully Supporting Employment for People with I/DD Recorded Webinar | Slides
- April 26, 2018 - Trauma Informed Care: Understanding Sources of and Treatment for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Recorded Webinar | Slides
- May 24, 2018 - Empowering People with Disabilities to Recognize and Report Abuse - Register Here!
- June 28, 2018 - Description to be announced
Archived 2016- 2017 Equal Justice Talks Webinars
**Material contains graphic material and adult content**
- December 1, 2016 Sexual Behavior Problems
- December 22, 2016 Risk Assessment
- January 12,2017 Psycho-Social Assessments
- February 2, 2017 Sexually Inappropriate Behavior
- February 23, 2017 Sexual Violence
- March 9, 2017 Problematic Sexual Behavior Part 1 Juveniles
- April 6, 2017 Problematic Sexual Behavior Part 2 Adults
- April 27, 2017 Faith Based Organizations
- May 18, 2017 NJ Parole Supervision
- June 14, 2017 Promoting Personal Safety
This project is cosponsored by the New Jersey State Bar Foundation and made possible through funding from the IOLTA Fund of the Bar of New Jersey. For additional information about the Foundation's other law-related activities, please call 1-800-FREE-LAW or visit the Foundation on the Web at www.njsbf.org.