Crime Victim Resource Newsroom
Helping to advocate for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities who have been the victim of sexual violence
People with I/DD are seven times more likely to be the victim of a sexual assault than a person without disabilities. While it can be hard to face a painful issue like sexual violence in our community, we have an obligation as family members, self-advocates and professionals, to ensure a positive life for people with I/DD, and that means taking on this difficult issue. In this time of #MeToo, years of Department of Justice reports that identify high numbers of victims, and media reports that capture people’s stories, the unique challenges facing people with I/DD cannot be overlooked. The Arc of NJ has been at the forefront of these issues for many years and we feel this is the opportunity to make positive change.
The Arc of New Jersey's White Paper on Sexual Violence Against People with I/DD:
The Arc of New Jersey - Vigil Press Release 04/21/2021
We will be updating this Newsroom on a regular basis. Check back often for current resources and information.
- The National Resource Center for Reaching Victims - Online Training Toolkit (This toolkit was designed to provide comprehensive and culturally responsive informational and educational resources, tools, videos, and examples of best practices for law enforcement, forensic interviewers, victim advocates, and others to prepare them to effectively respond to victims of crime with disabilities across the lifespan)
- Crime Victim Services & Referral Information (printable handout) - English Version / Spanish Version
- National Public Radio (NPR) with news broadcaster Joseph Shapiro - Investigation Finds Hidden Epidemic Of Sexual Assault
- The Arc of the US - National Center on Criminal Justice and Disability
- The Arc of the US - Talk About Sexual Violence: Survivor Perspectives
- The Arc of the US - Talk About Sexual Violence: Resources From Other Organizations
- The Arc of the US - Talk About Sexual Violence: Phase Two Training Tools
- Vera Institute of Justice - Ensuring Access for People with Disabilities and Deaf People
- Vera Institute of Justice - New Initiative Aims to Build National Movement for Ending Violence Against People with Disabilities
- The Violence Against Women with Disabilities and Deaf Women Project - Creating Safety
- West Virginia S.A.F.E. Training and Collaboration Toolkit - Self-Advocacy and Victims with Disabilities
- Vera Institute of Justice - Serving Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Survivors with Disabilities
- Conversations About Safety
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) - Sexuality and Disability Resources Guide
- Member of the 2018 National Champion COC Speech Team - Youtube Video "Sexual Abuse Against Intellectually Disabled"
- The Arc Fact Sheet on Sexual Violence