KEY WAYS TO TAKE ACTION
1. CONNECT WITH YOUR LEGISLATORS
Click here to sign up for our distribution list and receive future alerts directly in your inbox. This will keep you informed about relevant state-level issues of importance to the disability community and to Take Action Now!
2. CONNECT WITH THE MEDIA
Local and national news outlets help inform the public and draw attention to developmental disabilities issues. Provide a compelling story or write a letter to the editor about something going on in your community (good or bad), or respond to an article that moved you in some way.
3. CONNECT WITH YOUR COMMUNITY
You can raise awareness about people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in your local community by:
- talking to your family members, friends, or neighbors about relevant issues, or about how disabilities have affected your life or the life of someone you love.
- recommending a book about developmental disabilities to your book club or library.
- suggesting that a guest speaker on developmental disabilities be invited to address a religious or community organization you are involved with.
- suggesting disability issues as a training topic or topic of conversation for various groups you may be involved in.
- speaking up when you hear someone spreading misinformation or using disrespectful language.
- acknowledging the efforts of others to make a positive impact on the lives of people with developmental disabilities.
- looking for creative opportunities to educate your community about disabilities.