Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month is an opportunity to promote respect for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) and to educate others about the abilities people with IDD possess.
Each year, The Arc of New Jersey and NJ Self-Advocacy Project (NJSAP) host a Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month outreach event. The theme of this year’s event and design contest is “Welcome to Self-Advocacy”. Starting March 1st, participants are invited to create a short 3-5 minute video that incorporates the theme of this year’s campaign. The videos will be placed across NJSAP’s social media platforms (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram). Participants are invited to share their video and gather likes. The top 3 posts with the highest amount of ‘likes’ by the deadline, March 31st, will be selected as the winners of this campaign. Winners will be announced and celebrated publicly at our Spring Luncheon on April 15th, 2023. Each winner will also receive a $50 gift card, courtesy of The Blue Light Music Program.
Submissions can be viewed and voted on here during the month of March.
Utilize the theme to create a work that welcomes newcomers to the self- advocacy movement. What does self-advocacy mean to you? Dig through your knowledge and experience of being a self-advocate and offer up a piece of advice to people who may be unfamiliar with self-advocacy. How can speaking up improve lives?
1. Develop a creative and memorable video that incorporates the theme of this year’s campaign: "Welcome to Self-Advocacy!"
2. Fill out the form below and submit your video. Submissions will be posted on our website and social media pages to garner "likes" for voting during the month of March.
• Include in your video the phrase “Welcome To Self-Advocacy”.
•. Videos must be under 10 minutes long.
• To submit, you must fill out the form below and Media Release Form.
• Once the form is filled out you will receive a link to submit your video.
• Any background music cannot violate copyright laws, please submit original content only.
In order to submit, the OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM and MEDIA RELEASE FORM below must be included with your submission packet. Separate release forms must be submitted for each individual who appears in the video.
Please e-mail your entry form to: FBayak@ArcNJ.org. A link to submit your video will be sent to you.
Everyone is encouraged to participate and submit a video.
The top three submissions will receive a $50 gift card and will be honored at our virtual 17th Annual NJSSAN Spring Luncheon on April 15, 2023.
Gift cards are generously sponsored by The Blue Light Music Program. The Blue Light Music Program provides a supportive and engaging environment for people of all abilities to explore and develop their musical skills. At the Blue Light Music Program, music and learning unite in an inclusive and supportive environment. Our program serves youth and adults with diverse abilities, including those with intellectual and developmental disabilities. With a focus on music performance, production, and recording, our state-of-the-art recording studios in Mt. Holly, Blackwood, and online, provide an immersive and empowering musical experience. Our unique approach, centered around the needs and interests of each student, equips individuals with the skills they need to express their creativity and bring their musical vision to life. For more information and a free trial, click here.
1. Enter your submissions anytime from now until March 30th. The earlier you submit, the more time you have to collect votes!
2. Voting will take place throughout March 2023.
3. Winners will be notified by April 3, 2023. A $50 gift card will be mailed to each winner.
4. Winners will be publicly announced at our virtual 17th Annual NJSSAN Spring Luncheon on April 15, 2023. Join us to celebrate their win!